> Does anyone know of a way to make the letter allocation to drill size
> consistent?
> I generate my Gerber files and use the Gerber data to create dxf files for
> Autocad. So far so good. Should I then need to update the board and
> re-generate the Gerber files I often find that the letter to drill size
> allocation has changed, which then means updating the Autocad drawing to
> suit. This is frustrating, not to mention a waste of time. I cannot work
out
> the logic behind it. It would be great if I could arrange the sizes in
order
> and allocate letters accordingly i.e. A holes are the smallest B holes the
> next size up etc.
> Any advice would be appreciated.
>
> Barry Eccleston

Barry,
I arrived at a company two years ago and they did the same process,
exported to autocad.     An enginnering change took another 4 hours to dump
to autocad,  because of the updates.
I convinced management....why the hell do you need AutoCad for PCB?  They
now import a border and title block into the drill dwg layer in Protel, and
everything is done in Protel the way it should be done( not driven by a bad
draftsmans desicion to use Autocad).   If you need an autocad output  you
can now export the entire file with border in minutes but use gerber out  to
Camcad then dxf out.  So my questions is why do you prefer to shove
watermellons  in your nose when apples are less painless.  Dump Autocad and
get away from that kind of thinking.    We havent used Acad since I changed
the policy.  And we also have less fabriaction errors from board houses to
beat because there no mistaakes to be made in manually playing with data.

Mike Reagan
EDSI