At 08:18 AM 2/22/2002 -0600, Bob Bauer wrote:
>I hear ya! The same problem with graphic symbols. Is there a cure?

The cure will leave you in better condition than before you got the disease.

The cure is to have Protel print the drill size on the drawing. If one
stops and thinks about what a drill drawing is actually used for -- which
is not much nowadays, unless one has used the layer for all fab notes, not
a bad idea -- I think one will realize that the purpose is better served
with the actual drill size being plotted rather than letters or symbols,
both of which slow down the reader because they must reference a table.

Yes, the drill symbols can interfere with each other, so one must, to make
the drawing intelligible, make the symbols small enough that a 1:1 plot
would not be readable. But there is no need to *ever* make a 1:1 plot of a
drill drawing. The fabricators will use the drill file, not the drill
drawing (except for outline and reference locations), which has become,
almost completely, only a tool that we can use to visually check what sizes
have been assigned.

Protel could help us by making drill size display a view option, along with
pad numbers and nets.

(By the way, drill size accuracy is pretty gross; it is typical that the
fabricator has at least 2 mils of deviation from nominal for acceptance. So
rounding of drill sizes would be preferred. The fabricator is going to do
it anyway, matching the drill sizes in stock. A more sophisticated tool
would choose drill sizes by default, taking them back into the PCB
database, I won't go into details at this time.)

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Abdulrahman Lomax
Easthampton, Massachusetts USA