I'm not sure what you mean by "preset".  I typically keep a few different
PPC files in my ddb with the particular layer combinations I use most
often -- just set them up once.  I even carry them forward across designs.

Also, when setting up a preview, if you use the Properties dialog, you can
add & delete layers (one at a time), and it won't rebuild until you close
the dialog, so it's quicker than doing multiple right-click "Insert"s or
"Delete"s in the left pane.

Ctrl key