Hi Raybo,

My answer to your enquiry is very basic...  I'm not sure what you know or
don't know.  I apologise in advance for the overkill.

We do a mixture of single-sided through-hole and single-sided smd pcbs.

STEPS to designing:-

1.   Check/setup the ENVIRONMENT of the PCB editor first.
PCB footprint libraries available
DESIGN menu > RULES (eg clearance and width constraints)
DESIGN menu > OPTIONS (set LAYERS as per below and visible grid
details), and Board Options for Snap XY settings - larger first while defining
the pcb outline, then smaller when placing tracks).

The layers I use stay the same no matter what components I am using (this
keeps it more consistent for students).

Bottom Layer - all smds (you will probably need to change their layer from
the top to bottom if they were placed automatically), all tracks, including
corner markers.  Text (mirrored) for identification of pcb, date and designer.
Obviously, pads will appear on this layer due to them being on the
"multilayer".

Top Layer - this is for any through-hole components - and just in case you
want to make a double-sided pcb (therefore, tracks and possibly smd
components would go here).

Multilayer - Pads

Keepout Layer - for tracks that exactly outline the size of the pcb

Mechanical 1 - dimensioning information or notes for the assembler etc.

Top & Bottom Overlay (or silkscreen - depending upon terminology) - to show
the component outlines and designator/comment information.

Visible 1 and 2 grids.

DRC layer.

Connect layer.

Pad holes layer.

I haven't got the software on this computer, so I can't check any others...
but these are the main anyway.

2.   Define the outline of the pcb (on the keepout) with tracks - should be
completely closed area.

3.   Load the Nets from the schematic (or use the synchroniser)

4.   Arrange components within board and route manually or automatically if
setup of 'rules' is ok.  Use interactive tracks (assuming you are using a
netlist!)

5.  Place text (string) mirrored on bottom layer.

Hope this helps.

Liane.