Turn off all layers except one? Not to be a smartass, but what do you mean
exactly? Try to put all your traces on one layer and you have a single sided
PCB.

We can't even tell you what layer to use. If you're using through hole parts
(and especially DIP sockets, you'll want the layer to be on the "bottom" or
the opposite site of the components. If you're mounting parts in a surface
mount style, you'll want hte layer to be the "top" or the same site as the
components. If you need routing paths on both sides, then you'll have to get
one side by placing "jumper" components or pairs of holes in order for you
to solder wires on the component side.

If I assume you know what you want, then turn off all the layers you're not
using and route away. Protel doesn't care (I mean the app)

Tony