Randy,
        I can't answer your PADS import issue but other here are well versed
in those conversions.

        For your inability to edit or select the polygon I had the same
problem recently and was given the following solution. The manner in which
your polygon got in this state was probably during a move operation and you
answered "NO" to the repour polygon prompt. This can leave the old
primitives of the polygon separated from the actual polygon pour outline
location.

        To fix the polygon selection problem, select your whole board area.
Move the whole board and then even replace it down in the original location.
When you are prompted to repour the polygons, accept the repour. Then go and
find the polygon where it is now actually located.
        If you had remove dead copper enabled and the polygon is moved to
somewhere that it is all dead copper, you can try saving an ascii database
and editing the dead copper attribute on all of the polygons you might need
to try on the appropriate layer. Then reload the database, do the move
operation described above, repour and this time the polygon should show some
signs of copper primitives.

Sincerely,
Brad Velander.

Lead PCB Designer
Norsat International Inc.
Microwave Products
Tel   (604) 292-9089 (direct line)
Fax  (604) 292-9010
email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.norsat.com

See us at Booth S8155 at NAB 2002 in Las Vegas April 8 - 11.