We also use Acrobat very intensely for any kind of documentation.
What we have found out is that the output of Distiller and PDF Writer (also
Acrobat 4.0) can be very different. I personally use always distiller
because it was the better one when outputs were different. As far as I know,
distiller uses a PostScript printer driver and converts its output to PDF
(which actually is a sort of compressed PostScript). If you have PS printer
drivers installed on your system, they may influence the Arobat behavior.
Also, there are many many options to choose in Distiller's menus. I haven't
tried them all yet...

regards,

Heiko Vachek
elektronik 21 GmbH