Kerry
First you mentioned two types of objects, hanging traces, and dead tracks.
To remove dead tracks

1. Deselect all
2. Select a dead track
3 globally select all tracks matching layer and {NO NET)
4. control delete  to delete  all at once
5. repeat for the next layer

For vias
Select vias
match globally with net name  ( NO NET)
CONTROL DELETE all

For hanging traces.....good luck but we print every gerber file, have a
design review. The results are we rarely have hanging traces,

Good Luck
Mike Reagan
EDSI