Thanks Mark, Jon, Aaron, and Mira for the tips.

I don't know that I want to get down to the level of individual transistor
design, I get the impression most of the jobs I'm interested in (in Europe,
mostly) require IP-level stuff.
To be honest, I don't really know!
Anyway, I'll have a browse around for these books...

Once again, thank you all.

Damon Kelly
Hardware Engineer