Harry,
        it is tough to apply any reference to your wide open comments. From
all of the articles/studies that I have read on this issue, for common PCB
conditions, the authors all (without exception) state that the gold is
completely dissolved within the solder joint. If you are talking something
other than normal PCB soldering conditions then these comments would not
apply.

Sincerely,
Brad Velander.

Lead PCB Designer
Norsat International Inc.
Microwave Products
Tel   (604) 292-9089 (direct line)
Fax  (604) 292-9010
email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.norsat.com

Visit us at Booth 2G2-09 at CommunicAsia 2002 in Singapore June 18-21.