I am working on a database which is giving me serious trouble with Protel
crashes. First a bit of history: This database was formed by importing
schematics into an Access database from discrete schematic files which had
been previously maintained under a Windows database. I've been over all of
them, and there doesn't seem to be anything odd or out of order; they pass
ERC and generate a netlist nicely. Intersheet connections are made via ports
/ sheet entries.

I normally keep "Compress on closing" turned on, and I normally close all
designs before closing Protel. Three days ago, and again last night, I closed
everything down for the night with no ill effects. Next morning I opened the
database and got an immediate Protel crash, eventually traced to attempting
to open or display a specific schematic sheet (different sheet in the two
cases). This morning, I went to the backup (EGC.Bkp), which is uncompressed
judging from the 10M file size, vs the 1.4M file size of the main file. I
renamed it to BackupEGC.Ddb and it opened just fine, right where I left off
last night (except, of course, for compression). Close it with compression,
reopen it, still just fine. Close it, rename it to EGC.Ddb, and it crashes
when I reopen it. After several attempts and experiments, the crash seems to
be related to opening the file named EGC.ddb. That name has worked just fine
for at least a week. I have no directories named anything even similar.

Anybody have any hints as to how I can work reliably with this database? An
hour or two to recover it every morning isn't going to cut the mustard.
Unfortunately the client refuses to allow me to publish even a portion of the
database so others can look for problems, but there's nothing in here that I
have used more heavily before, other than new library parts (which I didn't
create).

Steve Hendrix