when it crashes do you get:
'explorer has caused an error'
and/or cascading error boxes that you can't close?
does the whole protel session quit?
do you get 'creating an error log' that you can't find or access?
do you get something about 'running a debugger' ?

i have seen all of these due to the 'invalid printer' bug
it is associated only with opening a schematic, not a pcb when the
printer is unplugged or 'bad' in protel's opinion

i wish i could tell you the workaround, but if this is the problem the
database is probably good

i think i opened up a good ddb, then schematic, verified printing, then
opened the bad one

Dennis Saputelli