Hello Miker,

> schematics" button, went back to my schematic, and
> one component's part did not update.  however, several
> other identical components did update.

> why won't the one part of the one component update?

In the knowledge base item 1934 is a description of the internal cache in
Protel.
One line in this description is:

'This behavior means that in Protel 99 two components on a sheet can have
the same name, but have different graphic and/or text attributes'

I am curious how Protel handles the following actions:

- Place one instance from component 'XYZ' on the schematic.

- Modify the component in the library without changing the name.

- Place a second instance on the schematic. (At this moment Protel will have
two different versions of 'XYZ' in the cache)

- Modify the component in the library again and do 'Update schematic' (This
modify is needed if you want to see the effect of the update)

- The question is. Will Protel update the first, the second or both
instances from the XYZ component in the internal cache?

Maybe that is the reason that Protel gives the advice to do initially a
'Update Parts In Cache'.

If you still have the schematic with the problem then you can see what
happens if you save it in ascii. Maybe you can find two 'versions' of the
component.

I don't know what happens if you create a project library from a schematic
with two different but 'same name' components. Is it possible for Protel to
create one project library file which contains two different components with
the same name?

I would like a function which compares the components on the sheet with the
library and then generates a report with differences.

Hope i did not confuse you more...

Aalt Lokhorst (e-mail [EMAIL PROTECTED])

address:
          Schut Geometrische Meettechniek bv
          Duinkerkenstraat 21
          9723 BN  Groningen, The Netherlands