Paste MASK and solder MASK layers are negative layers -- what you see are
the holes (voids) in the layers.

Solder mask is the (often green) stuff that covers most of the board
surface, EXCEPT for pads or anyplace else you want solder applied.  So
Protel's solder mask layer shows what's NOT covered by the green stuff.

The paste mask layer is only needed for surface-mount (SMT or SMD)
components.  It shows where the assembly house will apply "solder paste"
before they place the SMT components and then "reflow solder" the parts --
basically get the board hot enough so the solder that's in the paste
liquifies and forms the connection between the pads and the components.

You might try a book "Printed Circuit Board Basics" by Michael Flatt, which
explains how boards are manufactured.  Or search the net, there's quite a
lot of info there, some from fab houses.