At 01:14 PM 5/29/2002 +1000, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>I just discovered another 'bug' fix for the spreadsheet editor. It always
>seems
>to default to locked and therefore any update you try to paste back from Excel
>(a usable spreadsheet package) causes a crash and suggests a reboot.

That the default is locked is an irritating undocumented feature. That an
attempt to paste into a locked spreadsheet causes Protel to crash is a bug,
and a moderately serious one.

It should be added to the bug database. ("Bug List" at
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/protel-users/database , one must be a
subscriber to [EMAIL PROTECTED] to access this database. While
I'm at it, congratulations to Mr. Wilson for maintaining this file.)

(I have experienced this or something like this many times, but I have not
specifically verified the behavior on this occasion.)

>The problem can be overcome by going to : Options ->Preferences and unticking
>Protection.
>
>Nice choice of defaults here Protel.

Perhaps there is a way to change the default. I find no .ini file in my
WINNT directory (Windows for W98 users) for the Spreadsheet Editor, unlike,
for example, the Text Editor. Did I miss it? There is a command table
(.ins) in the [...]Design Explorer/System directory, which does not
establish defaults.

There is an option in Spreadsheet: Options/Preferences/[allow
editing:]Protection. One would think this has to be checked to allow
unlocking the protection, but the on-line help and Mr Broom seem to agree
that it must be unchecked. There is another setting:
format/Protection/Locked which purports to enable or disable protection for
individual cells or a selected block of cells. This is the command which
will actually turn off protection.
The setting does not appear to be persistent.