HI Adeel

the following is a brief summary of wave and reflow:

wave: components are placed first, with the SMDs requiring gluing down. the
board is then passed over the solder wave at an appropriate rate.

reflow: components are placed on top of pads which are pasted with solder.
the board is then passed thru an oven to melt the solder and create the
solder joint.

the design for manufacture guidelines are too long for me to list them all
in an email, your fab house will be able to give you a document that should
list them all. They may vary between fab houses, so no point giving general
rules. I suppose they fall under the two broad categories: placement to
avoid unwanted shorts, and placement to avoid shadowing, and hence not
enough solder.

hope this helps
Danny