At 11:18 AM 6/5/2002 -0600, Gordon Price wrote:
>I decided to take a couple of layers and move them around from
>the way they were and delete one of two ground plane layers( both named
>"GND"). [...] I deleted one of the ground plane layers
>and replaced it with a signal layer. I also moved the layers up and down
>[...]. In other words, I
>shuffled the deck of cards, but have the same number of layers with the same
>net connection names.
>
>         The auto router now can't seem to find either the "GND" named plane
>or the "+3.3V" plane,(even though they are there in the layer stack manager)
>and DRC reports a zillion unconnected GND and +3.3V nets.

I think there are a couple of possibilities, but first things first:

In the Layer Stack Manager, there are two relevant attributes to an
internal plane, Layer Name and Net Name. (Highlight the layer and press
properties). The two are not automatically connected.... In other words,
you could have a layer named GND, but it might have no net assigned to it,
or some other net.

Before looking into other possibilities, the above should be checked;
likewise one of the isolated ground sections should be examined. Presumably
the pad in that section supposedly connects to GND through a via. What net
is assigned to the pad, to the track, and to the via? They should all be GND.

If they are not, probably Design/Netlist_Manager/Menu/(Update Free
Primitives from Component Pads) should be run.

I'll also mention the complication of split planes; Mr. Price did not
mention these, so I'll leave that out of consideration for the time being....