Ken,
        the proper nomenclature would probably be "slot". Can your
rectangular hole have rounded ends? If it can then it can be routed with a
40 mil routing bit. If not then you need a punched hole and that is much
more significant, talk to your fab house.
        As for doing it with rounded ends, define your pad as normal with a
unique hole size, I usually will use something like 1 mil, that cannot
possibly be drilled. Then make a note (and sketch/drawing) describing
exactly how you want that hole dealt with. (i.e. horizontal/vertical slot 40
mils wide, +/- 60 mils length either side of the hole center.) A drawing or
sketch is best because then their is very little room for interpretation
errors.

Sincerely,
Brad Velander.

Lead PCB Designer
Norsat International Inc.
Microwave Products
Tel   (604) 292-9089 (direct line)
Fax  (604) 292-9010
email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.norsat.com

Visit us at Booth 2G2-09 at CommunicAsia 2002 in Singapore June 18-21.