Matt Daggett wrote:

> Has anyone had any issues running Protel under VMware?
>
> I am getting ready to migrate my machine from native Win2K to Linux and use
> Win2k under VMware for my windows applications.  So far the Virtual machine
> is showing only a 10-15% hit on the CPU performance and about a 5% hit on the
> memory bandwidth using synthetic benchmarks. Not bad and I have been very
> impressed with the VMware product thus far so I am hoping that most of my
> high-end applications (Protel, ASAP, Ansoft, etc) would still perform quite
> well even though they are inside the virtual machine.  I was wondering if any
> of you who are running virtual machines under Linux have had any
> problems/issues or just have tips/comments.
> <snip>
> "Not long ago someone posted a message on this forum that they had Protel
> 99SE working well on Linux under VMware."

That was probably me.  The os is Windows 2000 Pro, and, although I use the
Linux side more than the Win side and protel at the moment, I have spent a
couple days pretty much straight in Win and Protel, and it has been the
smoothest
sailing with Windows and/or Protel I've ever experienced.  (Of course, I used
Win 95 before, and it was NOT smooth sailing, as everyone probably knows.)

There is one area that is not a problem, per se, but needs some systems
knowledge.  That is printing.  The quick way out is to set up Windows
(through VMWare) to take over the parallel port.  Then, you won't be
able to directly print to a local printer.  If all your printers are networked,
that is no problem.  If you have a local printer, the key is to create a Linux
print que, and enable network printing through lpd or cups from the virtual
node address of the VMWare/Windows system.  Then, configure Windows
to print to the Linux print queue.  This works pretty well for me.  You can
also do this through Samba, but I really don't know Samba, so I did it the old
Unix way.

Jon

* Tracking #: BE71DBD716239849AF155B22CC63B147266730E1