Fabian,
        your email popped up on my desktop just as I was coming to write a
reply to all who helped. I am back in operation, all symptoms have
disappeared. I can print, generate a BOM and annotate. Seems the problem was
related to one or more corrupt *.bpl or *.dpl files.

        Protel Tech support emailed me this morning with what turned out to
be the solution. A new procedure for a "clean" re-install. I have copied it
below, note the line stating to delete all *.bpl & *.dpl files, this is new.

July 5 2002
Protel 99SE Complete Uninstall.(New version emailed from Lori Quevedo)

Version # Protel 99SE/ Service Pack 6:

PROBLEM:  Is there a specific uninstall procedure for Protel?  I have
uninstalled and reinstalled using add and/remove programs but Protel is
still acting up.

SOLUTION:

1) Un-install Service Pack 6 for 99SE
2) Un-install 99SE
3) Delete the Design Explorer 99 SE directory
(make sure you have no personal files or libraries stored here before you do
this).
4) Delete the files *99SE.* from your Windows or Winnt folder
5) Also delete from the Windows or Winnt folder *.bpl and *.dpl, if they are
still remaining.
6) Re-install Protel 99 SE
a) If Win 9x then Reboot
7) Re-apply Service Pack 6
a) If Win 9x Then Reboot

Good Luck and pass this along so others are not bitten by the same issue(s).

        I also raised the issue with Tech Support about their phones, etc.,
having no indication that they were open or closed yesterday. To complicate
issues, they were also holding a company picnic Wed. afternoon with no
indication that they were "closed". So 1.5 days without Tech Support or any
indication that they were or were not there, pretty shabby. Wake up Protel
Management!

Sincerely,
Brad Velander.

Lead PCB Designer