i would stash copies of the 'clean' ones and the 'corrupted' ones and do
a binary file compare to verify that this is really going on
also note the if file dates are changing

in my experience literal file corruption is much more rare than it is
suspected

OTOH, file replacement (as in DLL hell) is relatively common

if it really is file corruption i would guess your hardware is going
south

what is it that goes bad after a week?
spooking stuff like the file annotation crashes you were mentioning?

also have you done a disk defragment lately?
that might move it to different disk sectors

maybe do a defrag right after zapping your protel files before the next
re-install
what a pain this must be for you!

Dennis Saputelli

Brad Velander wrote:

> Hi all,
>         this is just a wild fishing trip.
>         Recently I have been plagued by my Protel install being corrupted
> repeatedly. It seems to be corrupted Borland/Delphi library files (i.e.
> VCL50.bpl in particular). I can do a clean install that includes deleting
> all bpl and dpl files, reinstall Protel and everything is fine, a week or so
> later I end up having to do it again. Anybody seen/seeing anything similar?
>         Note: I have not installed/reinstalled any applications since
> reinstalling Protel, so it is not being written over by a new version to the
> best of my knowledge.
>
> Sincerely,
> Brad Velander.
>
> Lead PCB Designer
> Norsat International Inc.
> Microwave Products
> Tel   (604) 292-9089 (direct line)
> Fax  (604) 292-9010
> email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> http://www.norsat.com

* Tracking #: 8714FF090BEBBA4493B9C5C5C116888EB32B15B8