> I tend to agree with most of what you said except for AMD. I have a
> Athlon900 sytem here and it seems to "blow away the doors" of a PIII-700
> that is also here for general purpose use. Yes I know it's faster, but it
> seems WAY faster.

    The problem with comparing earlier cpu's is that the performance characteristics
radically change with regard to the latest
available CPUs.  Another problem is if you are not exactly sure what's in your system,
the radical performance change between the
Athlon900 & PIII-700 may be due to other advancements in your system, not just the
cpu. Like video card, agp speed, memory speed &
general motherboard chipset capabilities.  Now I am not knocking Athlon here, I'm just
saying I mean to get the fastest possible PC
for Protel today within a 4-5K$ budget.

    I have a personal stake in this new PCB & time here will cost me money.  I do not
whish to wait for Protel at any time.  I also
do not want sluggish panning when routing the board since I will be manually routing
it.  I also do not want to buy a system which
is a bit slower because of something silly like a cheap motherboard ram controller.

Brian Guralnick
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Voice (514) 624-4003
Fax (514) 624-3631