From: Brian Guralnick [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, 24 July 2002 12:36 PM
To: Protel EDA Forum
Subject: [PEDA] Fastest possible Protel system (LATEST)

Here is what I gathered so far:

#1.  Use only a consumer grade NVIDIA based GF3, or GF4.  With Protel's auto-pan
problem, which differs from video card to video
card, I can't even be sure that the work station grade NVIDIA cards will not create
any unforeseen auto-pan problems.

#2.  Use 'only' Win2K Professional.  The earlier M$ os's are useless & WinXP has been
demonstrated to have some minor questionable
issues with P99SE.

#3.  Dual processors seem to run fine with Protel, and may help the system run with a
better consistent pace.

#4.  Avoid using Postscript printers, or, if have a postscript printer which can be
used in a HP emulated laser printer mode, it
will probably be to your advantage to run it in this mode with Protel.

#5.  Use Win2K's generic mouse driver instead of the fancy ones which come with most
Logitech mice.

#6.  More ram, the better.  2GB with a 3GB swapfile should make the system run as
smooth as possible.  Remember, my PCB has around
10K nets.

Any corrections?  Any additions, clear obvious items which I may have missed?

So far, I have yet to hear any real Protel speed issues comparing "dual AMD" VS "dual
Intel".
Also, if I were to go with Intel, should I go DDR, or QDR.

Remember, I did say "fastest possible Protel system".  Also, it should have the least
possible problems.

Brian Guralnick
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Voice (514) 624-4003
Fax (514) 624-3631

* Tracking #: 8F1F3B6020E4674CBC9997FA43BC35230D5669AA