On 12:29 AM 24/07/2002 -0700, Tony Karavidas said:
>I thought an application specific keyboard would be handy for an app like
>this, especially if it could be user configurable with LCD buttons!

There is a company called Goldtouch that sells an expensive keyboard that
can be split in the middle to allow  more natural wrist position.  It is
designed as truly ergonomic (as opposed to anything with curves that is
labelled ergonomic - believe me there is a big difference and, no, it is
not all a matter of common sense).

I did not like the keyboard, partly as I did not use it enough to get used
to the "Protel keys" being on the left, partly as I thought the mechanics
of the split/raising mechanism were not quite right.  It was stable enough,
but really only when you supported it better with a couple of small wedges.

http://www.goldtouch.com

The Goldtouch mouse was a shocker but the wrist pads and, especially, the
mouse mat is really nice.  I use the mouse mat all the time even with the
optical - nice soft area for the wrist but firmer area for the
mouse.  Excellent accuracy.

We were given the system to trial (my partner is an ergonomist) - we paid
for the mats and wrist rests but sent the mice and kb back after evaluating
it for clients.

There are also plenty of companies that sell PS/2 and USB numeric keypads
that could be put into nav key mode (NumLock off) but then you have the
silly nav key layout.

Alternatively, a left handed keyboard may suffice:
http://www.keyalt.com/keyboards/lefthandkeyb.htm

Or a keyboard that can be split into sections and positioned as you wish:
http://www.keyalt.com/keyboards/ergoflex.htm

Bound to be others as well.

Ian Wilson

* Tracking #: 671EE483B819A64B85A0ED3AB65D9ACEE22D8294