On 03:42 PM 1/08/2002 +0100, John Ross said:
> [...]

I agree service pack should be free - but it does get more complicated when
there are new features and especially ones we have been asking for.  I
refer, of course, to the changes in P99SE over P99.

Of course features can easily be added to a minor release in an attempt to
get us to pay for what is basically bug fixes.

Maybe this forum has outlived its usefulness.  Think about what I am
writing here.  We are now doing a lot of the support that Altium would have
been doing.  This has shifted costs.  If Altium saw all the costs of
maintaining a buggy program and had many people ringing and complaining
about support times, poor support, missing features ... then there would be
a clear incentive to minimize these support costs - by fixing the problems.

Do I believe this...No.  But it is one spin on the move to user-based support.

I have always been against maintenance even if the effective price for
normal upgraders is about the same (or even more).  The reason is the loss
of incentive for Altium to deliver what we want.  And, I hate paying for
bug fixes - always have . Protel, and then Altium, have been top of my list
in forcing this since the debarcle release of Adv PCB V1 - where we lost
man months of work, as a 5-man start-up, due to basic gerber, drc .... bugs.

Ian Wilson

* Tracking #: 4D6CF200C2829543B171AAB4F2B9EBE34F75C67C