Pat,
        First to answer your question, of course SMT Plus is charging for
their services. Whether it is giving courses on land pattern design, selling
land patterns or any other aspect of their business. So the short answer is
no. What do you want for nothing? Even the IPC doesn't give away their
standards for free.

        There is one aspect of their online web based land pattern service
that I have never understood, I subscribe to their annual updates and get
all recent patterns each year. On the web-based service, how do you find the
land pattern you want without buying several that weren't quite the correct
package dimensions? This is a mystery to me and I would believe this is one
aspect that you are asking about. I would suggest emailing them or calling
them to answer this question.

        We subscribed to their Land pattern book many years ago. I had
approx. 10 years ago, taken SMT Plus' land pattern design course. Since then
they have switched to the software version only and we switched over to the
software version. Initially we paid approx. $400 for the books, since then
we pay approx. $175 annually. This includes all new patterns generated
within the last year and gives us 25 free land patterns to be generated for
us when they do not already exist. I casually figure that this service saves
me approx. 30 hours of work per year just for the new patterns not already
in the existing land patterns. Expensive? I don't think so. While they are
calculating the details of the land pattern dimensions, I am charging
forward with my other design tasks until they send me back the pattern
approx. a day later (sometimes hours later).

Sincerely,
Brad Velander.

Lead PCB Designer
Norsat International Inc.
Microwave Products
Tel   (604) 292-9089 (direct line)
Fax  (604) 292-9010
email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.norsat.com

* Tracking #: 1E177E548DB9F448AB56EAFEF880D8BA89634DB2