Hi All,

Just downloaded an interesting Linux trial disk from a group doing a Distro
called Knoppix.

The distro is supplied as a downloadable ISO image which is burnt onto a
bootable CD. It allows you to run up a KDE/debian system on any machine
which has a CD slot & not disrupt the existing windows install.  On a fat32
system it can access all windows drives ( not sure about NTFS yet ) & even
run some programs via WINE. On the couple of systems trialled so far it
successfully detected all hardware on the boxes.

The system has Open Office & many many more programs supplied. It is a bit
slow as a result of running from CD.

Overall it is an interesting way for Linux people to show non Linux people
what all the kafuffle is about or alternatively for Windows people to
quickly & safely have a go at Linux without disrupting their machine's
setup.

It is a ways off before I could ditch Windows but after looking at the level
of control which MS would like to exercise over my machine if I install
their latest service packs then more power to the Penguin!

Cheers

Don Ingram
Leading Edge Design
Ph +61 7 4954 6074