Joel

I appreciate your thoughts, however I don't think I quite got my reasoning
across as far as my motivation for thinning down a thick trace in some areas
to fit. In this particular case there is one edge sensitive net that goes to
4 logic gates on a board that is otherwise relatively free of critical
traces. My reasoning behind fattening up this trace (to the point of placing
fills where possible) is to reduce the inductance of the net where possible
in the hope that it's susceptibility to EMI will reduce. Now I suppose that
as far as EMI immunity is concerned reflections are less important (?)
particularly considering that this particular signal should only trigger in
a fault condition and shut down the circuit.

In a more general case however if this had a clock on it I wonder if the
introduction of these impedance changes along a trace would increase or
reduce reliability (particularly with EMI).

cheers