>>More likely, they're suffering from islands of resist detaching and
floating
around, causing 5 thou gaps wherever they land. I've certainly been asked to
avoid similar features (although normally it's tracks leaving pads and
looping
round the side of the pad, <<

Good point.

I once had trouble with solder mask over solder plated tracks with large
copper areas. When it went through wave solder the solder mask would
delaminate on the melted solder  and end up "scooping" up globs of solder. I
solved this with cross hatch copper areas instead of solid copper areas.
This problem goes away with SMOBC, which is my preference. But as track
density went up and feature size went down, I started making my cross hatch
pattern very fine, not realizing I could be causing a fab problem.  I guess
I will just go back to solid copper, not much reason for the cross hatch any
more.

Thanks for all the quick yet thoughtful responses.

Lloyd

* Tracking #: 8BE5C309EF15E547B247461A556B0D081A4951B8