Fra: Brian Guralnick [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sendt: 16. september 2002 22:26
Til: Protel EDA Forum
Emne: Re: [PEDA] An IPL to Protel footprint converter - step #2

OK, I want to make a decision whether or not to proceed & make the
'IPL-2-Protel.bas' footprint converter.

I've decided that I will do it, or not, this weekend.  I still need my main
questions answered, otherwise, I will not proceeded.

Re-read, I've added some comments...
Q1: Is IPL the adopted standard that IC manufactures will use for footprint
distribution?  Or is it something I would only end up
using If I owned another cad package like Orcad for translation to Protel...

Q2: Does the IPL standard create a schematic library component as well?
This would be the most useful for me.  It would require
names for the pins within the IPL file.  Coordinates would also be helpful,
but, I'm sure I can still synthesize a pin positioning
algorithm.

Q4: Are there any competing standards emerging?  EG, maybe I should make a
Gerber2Protel footprint converter.  It would take the
Gerber footprint, & number out the pins based on location.

Brian Guralnick
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
(514) 624-4003