Dennis Saputelli wrote:
 > but orcad DSN files are what is needed these days

There are 3 things here:
1. This what is needed, in fact, is OrCAD DSN format
2. OrCAD SDT library ASCII format is well documented and easy to understand
3. Obvious one - OrCAD Capture can read OrCAD SDT files and libraries

So the conclusion seems to be: - convert Protel library to OrCAD SDT

format library, save Protel project as OrCAD SDT file (*.sch) and you may
import the whole thing into OrCAD Capture (make *.dsn file).

Actually, it may not be so simple.
Protel as well as OrCAD Capture support "heterogeneous" components (each part
of a component may be different). For example - somebody reported on this
forum that they have separate section for power pins of the package.

However, this feature is not supported in SDT format libraries - all components
must be "homogeneous" - all the logical parts have to be identical except pins.

Wojciech Oborski