24/09/2002 02:10:16, "Bevan Weiss" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>This comes about through using the autoplacer
>to obtain a starting point for component placement (just got too many parts
>to allow hand placement of every one).

Wow - I've never got any use out of the autoplacer. (I generally just use a room
per schematic sheet, and use those as a startpoint - seems to get results).
The autoplacer just seems to chunter away to itself, moving components
around, but not tending towards any result that I really want. What's your
secret? (and on what kind of board?)

>The only way I can think of to change them is using a global edit, however I
>would have thought that there would be a rule for this kind of stuff.

A global edit to rotate all the designators, center them in the component, and
place them on an appropriate mechanical layer, takes 10 seconds... I suspect
that a rule would just get annoying after a while? If I was you, I'd just go with
the flow...

>Also:  Is there perhaps anyone willing to take a look at my design documents
>(in Protel 4binary Format) for a design project I'm doing for Polytech.
>I've got some ERC errors which I'd prefer to sort out before finalising the
>PCB.

Could do, but not this week...

Steve