Bevan Weiss wrote:

> The only way I can think of to change them is using a global edit, however I
> would have thought that there would be a rule for this kind of stuff.

I may be wrong but I havent seen any design rule specific to components'

designators.

Tools/Preferences/Defaults/Component settings let you define the placement
of designator (and comment) in relation to component. It acts during placing
components from library onto the workspace.
Later on, when components are moved/rotated their designators are moved/rotated
accordingly.

Design/Rules/Placement/Component Orientation Rule lets you define allowable
component rotations during autoplacement, so you may enable for example
only 0 end 90 deg.
I haven't used Autoplacer, so I don't know how it works in practice.

Wojciech Oborski