One possible solution, since you say that you are "coping" traces that are
on a Mechanical Layer , would be to make all of the tracks "NONET" until
after you had copied them and then do an "Update . . . " to assign
connectivity.

While this may be a little hard from a practical standpoint if you already
have nets assigned to component pads, etc., if you lay one segment of track,
stop, select that segment and then change its net to NONET, then you can
continue laying it without the problem you are having.

If you want to get really brave, then "clear" all nets, do your routing, and
then synchronize with the "update connected . . . " option checked, or use
the Netlist Manager Menu "Update Free Primitaves . . . " to properly
reassign the nets.

You may run into a few things that need cleaning up, but overall it may be
worth it.

Yet one other option or approach would be to simply select the track
segments that you want on the Mechanical Layer, double click on one, and use
a global change to move it to the layer you want, and yet again another
global change to assign the net you want.

JaMi Smith