Michael,
        what are the other layers?
        The only thing that I can think of from your explanation is the
regular Protel issue of showing some other layers (that were turned off)
which have the same net association. While routing GND for example you may
have polygons on turned off layers show up with highlighted track edges even
though the layer is turned off. I don't know any work around.
        For layers that are turned on, do you know how to use the Display
Order control?

Sincerely,
Brad Velander.

Lead PCB Designer
Norsat International Inc.
Microwave Products
Tel   (604) 292-9089 (direct line)
Fax  (604) 292-9010
email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.norsat.com
Norsat's Microwave Products Division has now achieved ISO 9001:2000
certification