From: Jon Elson [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, 17 October 2002 5:33 AM
To: Protel EDA Forum
Subject: Re: [PEDA] Fan out Via clearance

Shuping Lew wrote:

> Jon, Thank you very much for your replied.
>
> Could you describe some more details? ---How to set up different grids
> for Vias and traces? Grid setting for traces should be much smaller than
> Via's... I'd like to set up 5mil for traces and 55 mil for vias so I can
> run a trace in between. Is there any way to set up different grids for
> auto router?

Yes, you have a point, there.
The detailed way to do this probably to set a rule such that vias cannot be

closer than some calculated amount to other vias on a different net.
(Does the autorouter follow such a rule?)  Make that clearance enough so
that
a track plus the clearance on each side can then make it through between
them.
I can never remember exactly which rules the autorouter follows, and which
it ignores.  (The rules setup does tell you which ones are observed by the
router.)

Note that the grid is not an absolute restriction on track endpoints,
however.
If the track ends on some other primitive, it is allowed to go off-grid to
hit the center of that primitive.  That won't work for intermediate track
segments, however.

Jon