> From: Fred A Rupinski [mailto:rupinski@;webspan.net]

> I suppose the long reach of e-mail tends to mask the fact
> that the world is
> still a big place, and that there's no telling what you might find out
> there. For instance, virtually all of my clients want a paper
> documentation
> package that includes a text file BOM, as well as electronic
> documentation
> that includes EXCEL.

Granted, you do still need paper output in this digital world.... but surely
its better to work on ONE document, ie an excel spreadsheet, and then just
export that to a text file when you've finished it?

I'm no Altium employee, and I have had problems with ow protel works
before... but I guess the issue I am  pushing here is it is not as unusable
(first release crashfests aside) as a few people on this list seem to
suggest. Its a complex piece of software and because of that, unfortunately,
it takes a lot of time to learn how to drive.

In the way of feature complaints, I'm more annoyed that the simulator is so
fiddly to get to work (IMO) and that there is a PLD compiler built into the
software. Its an electronic CAD program. Why waste development time stuffing
in extra features no-one needs, when other features such as the simulator
and maybe the autorouter still need a lot of help?

Julian
(Sorry about the previous OT, but look - look no more gun ranting, even if
the pro gun people are all cowboy fantasizing nutcases)