Or look at China and consider the people have no way to protect
themselves from the government while the government fires at them from
the protection of military tanks.

> > Private ownership of guns has a certain deterrence factor.
>
> or you can say it escalates the level to which violent
> confrontations reach.
>
> How many people die in the US each year through drunken
> arguments that escalate to the point of macho cowboys pulling
> out their steel penises and waving them in each others faces?

Or look at the Middle East and consider the macho man with his real
penis holding the power of man over women. How many women are executed
at the 'hand' of man there?? You don't need a gun to kill.

> More guns on the street means more opportunity for people on
> the street to get shot. end of story.

I guess, but considering we have some of the best human rights laws in
the world AND our government hasn't been greatly changed in a couple
centuries (or overthrown), we're doing ok.

> > If a criminal
> > thinks you might have a gun, he will be less likely to commit an act

> > of violence against you.
>
> Or he's really desperate and 8has* to steal money so pulls
> out his own gun, bought from the same 7-11 you got yours and
> puts a bullet through your face and your girlfriend's face
> before taking your wallets.....

What's the difference if you're knifed to death, shot to death, beaten
to death? You're still dead.

> > If you have a gun, and the criminal is
> > crazy enough
> > to attack you anyway, you can shoot him.  Then he will be
> > dead, commit no
> > more acts of violence, and justice will have been better
> > served than by any
> > court system and prison sentence.
> >
> Oh dear. if you really feel this is the way to do things, I
> feel very sorry for you. Do you know anyone who has been
> killed with a gun?
>
> Julian

Yes, suicide was one. Of course that is only one way to kill yourself.
Around here, the Golden Gate bridge is another popular way.

This is highly off topic and probably should not go on.

Tony