> From: Matt Polak [mailto:polak@;raven-systems.net]

>          Advanced Circuits (my primary boardhouse) does
> cleanup, but I have
> seen a few boardhouses out there who just print right over
> the pads!!

I'm nowhere near the most experienced board designer on this list, but I've
had stuff made at various places in Australia and some made in Asia, and
never had a problem with silkscreen overlays on pads. While I usually check
to make sure nothing is going over the pads (viewing just the overlay &
solder mask layers) Whenever I've had small crossovers, the overlay is
always chopped. Even at places in Australia like BEC. www.becman.com and
I've used them for rush prototype jobs where the likleyhood of overlays on
pads is highest.

> friend bought some home-brew, assemble-yourself 'kits' that were
<snip>
> often difficult
> to assemble when you've silkscreen on the SMT pads where the
> solder should
> be sticking!

look out - Don't get me started on the state of hobbyist kits and hobby
magazines..

>          Guess it depends on your boardhouse. Auto-clipping of the
> silkscreen by your boardhouse (if they offer it) is handy, but
> unfortunately as I've had happen in the past, when it's at
> the expense of
> making the designators unreadible it can become a big
> problem. The main
> thing I've actually had bite me a few times is the problem
> with vias (and
> their pads) punching through text without me realizing it.

This is one of the biggest arguments for going with plugged & tented vias.

julian