----- Original Message -----
From: "Abd ul-Rahman Lomax" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Protel EDA Forum" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, October 30, 2002 11:06 PM
Subject: Re: [PEDA] 99SE Migration

> At 12:51 PM 10/17/2002, Fred A Rupinski wrote:
> >"If you are using an older operating system such as Windows NT, 98 or 95,
> >and have been unable to trial Protel DXP, Altium has made the transition
> >easy with the 'Protel 99 SE to Protel DXP Migration Pack'. You can start
> >designing today with Protel's powerful design technology and upgrade your
> >platform when it suits you. For full details visit:
> >http://www.protel.com/dxpmigration.html.";
>
> Interesting. I think it's a mistake.

The quoted offer is extracted verbatim from Altium's WEB site, so this is no
mistake. Rather, it's a simple marketing ploy to get customers hooked on
DXP.

> Essentially, this "migration pack" is
> nothing other than P99SE with a coupon for DXP, to be used when the user
> chooses. It is really the same as buying DXP and asking for and getting
> 99SE "free," which I understand has been policy for those who request it.

Another quote extracted from Altium, "The installation of Protel DXP will
replace the Protel 99 SE license you have installed."  This is in effect an
exchange that means you will no longer own 99SE, therefore it's not "free".

> What they have now done is to tell buyers that they can have their DXP
> software later rather than now, no extra charge....

Because the offer keys on DXP incompatibility with Windows NT, 98 or 95, a
better promotional incentive might be to bundle the OEM version of XP with
DXP.

> ....................................... Perhaps 99SE could remain an entry
product, though
> $5995 is still high to be considered "entry." How about $3995 with
modified
> upgrade rights (i.e, such a license would need to pay $3995 to upgrade to
> DXP instead of the $1995 otherwise charged to 99SE license holders)?

Now your talking.

I had previously made a similar suggestion, but with the qualification that
99SE be cleaned up. (Maybe Altium can obtain Ian Wilson's bug list.) I
suspect that the 99SE SP7 camp would support this.

Regards,
Fred A Rupinski