Hi everybody,

I have a question about the ground and power planes and signal layers that I must use
on my printed circuit board.

This board  mainly consists of  a virtex 2000 part ( FG1156 ball grid array,XCV2000E).

I have followed the "xilinx board routability" guidelines and accordingly the board
has six signal layers .

But I don't know how many ground and power planes I will need ;
and where in the stack they should be placed with respect to the signal layers ?

The board  uses the following voltages :

3.3 Volts : LVTTL I/O's of the FPGA
1.8 Volts : FPGA core voltage
5.0 Volts : voltage required by other devices like the oscillator etc

Will the presence of different voltages necessitate the use of different power planes
for each voltage ?

Moreover, this board involves upto 544 (potentially) simultaneously switching signals ?

Will this affect  the ground and power planes ?

I'd really appreciate any suggestions...

thanks and regards

Anand Kulkarni