To resonate with what Nick wrote.....

(1) So I wonder what would happen if I managed to get rid of all the " * "
in the part fields in a schematic.   Would there be a problem?  I'm
thinking of something like the CSV bom output might get borked or something
like that.

 For the reasons that Nick cites, you can't do a global edit on because
theres no way to select only a " * " since its a wildcard.  However,
getting rid of those " * " is possible.

a.  Export all fields to a spreadsheet, delete all *, and then import back
to schematic.  This can be a very flaky process but can be made to work
with enough tries.  One of the problems with this is having to suffer
through the protel spread sheet editor.

b.   When placing a sch component, hit the INSERT key before the part is
placed.   Edit all the part fields to get rid of the " * ".   Now the
default fields will be empty instead of having a " * " .

(2)  Its too bad that protel only gave us two kinds of fields:

Library - read only at sch level.   Values are drawn from library.
Part - can change at sch level.  No values are drawn from library, only the
name of the field.

I've often wished for a third type in between the two that can be changed
at the sch level but has a default value that is drawn from the library.

my $0.2
Dave Lewis

"Nick Papas" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> on 02/09/2003 07:36:11 PM