I am using Protel 99SESP6 on a laptop (temporarily), so it is difficult to
use some of the shortcuts due to the lack of a number keypad. I am trying to
change the " * " shortcut key to another key.

I have used to the Client Menu to access the shortcuts tab and changed the *
to a Z.  There seems to be no problem doing this and when I start to route
pressing Z actually toggles to my next layer.  However no via is places at
all.  It doesn't seem to matter what key I replace the " * " with, I still
get no via.  As soon as I go back to the original default key, it works
fine.

Is there something else that I must do to get this operation to work
correctly with a different key?

Thanks for the help,

Marshall Edge