For products that are not highly cost sensitive
we typically label different ground groups separately on
the schematic--

DGND (digital ground), PGND (power ground),
AGND (analog ground), SGND (sensor ground),
etc., etc.--

which need to be kept separate to avoid errors
due to high-currents along certain parts of the
ground plane--

and then connect them together at
critical points using zero ohm resistors or
ferrite beads.

A side benefit--this can be useful during circuit
testing and debugging because one can more
readily isolate sources of noise, shorts, and other
faults.

More of a workaround than a solution to your
problem....but one which we use increasingly because
it not only avoids the CAD problem that you
bring up, but also makes the product more
serviceable.

Best regards,

Kerry Berland
[EMAIL PROTECTED]