The way I read the PCI spec, a number of years ago when I designed a PCI
board, you were REQUIRED to terminate ALL power pins on the board with a
specified capacitance that could be from the power plane or capacitors if
the plane wasn't enough. It read to me that you could combine pins into
one capacitor, but that the capacitance had to be there for the pins.

Having said that I have seen a number of boards that don't even have the
power pins on the connector.

I combined a few pins into fewer caps where I could and the board worked.
I don't know if it would have passed the official comliancy test since
only three protos were made before management abandoned the project.

Robert D. LaMoreaux
MTS Systems Corp.
Powertrain Technology Division
4622 Runway Blvd.