For what it's worth (not much?), I think OrCad SDT III for DOS was great.

It was fast, nearly bug-free, and easy to use.  And well documented, with
the documentation supplied you could even write your own video driver or
plotter driver if you had some oddball non-supported equipment.  You could
export and import ASCII files for everything.  It also supported netlist
outputs in many formats (Futurenet, EDIF, etc.).  It could also plot to DXF
files for use in other CAD packages.  I remember doing this because at the
place I worked at the time, we didn't have a (working) plotter for the PCs.
Instead, we plotted to DXF and handed the 5.25 inch floppy to the mechanical
guys to plot on their overpriced Intergraph workstations.  Using the
dos2unix utility to do so, we got great plots from their electrostatic
plotter.

OrCad SDT III ran great on an 8 MHz 286 with 640K of RAM.

Best regards,
Ivan Baggett
Bagotronix Inc.
website:  www.bagotronix.com