At 10:53 AM 6/27/2003 -0400, Bagotronix Tech Support wrote:

>For what it's worth (not much?), I think OrCad SDT III for DOS was great.

SDT and PCB were far more productive for me, than capture and layout are.

>It was fast, nearly bug-free, and easy to use.  And well documented, with
>the documentation supplied you could even write your own video driver or
>plotter driver if you had some oddball non-supported equipment.  You could
>export and import ASCII files for everything.  It also supported netlist
>outputs in many formats (Futurenet, EDIF, etc.).  It could also plot to DXF
>files for use in other CAD packages.  I remember doing this because at the
>place I worked at the time, we didn't have a (working) plotter for the PCs.
>Instead, we plotted to DXF and handed the 5.25 inch floppy to the mechanical
>guys to plot on their overpriced Intergraph workstations.  Using the
>dos2unix utility to do so, we got great plots from their electrostatic
>plotter.

I still have the full suite, of the last DOS products. I use them anywhere I don't
have really complicated PCB geometries to deal with.   Capture and layout, OTOH, I
consider to be one of the worst investments I've ever made.

>OrCad SDT III ran great on an 8 MHz 286 with 640K of RAM.

I once autorouted a board on a toshiba laptop like that, with two floppies, while
driving from LA to Vancouver.