The net connected to the split plane is the net within the boundary of the split. Your split (+3.3V island) as described will be fine as long as you are careful not to place a via or pad for either the +5V or +3.3V nets on the boundary between the two plane regions. Protel has problems deciding what net to connect when the connection is made on the split boundary-sometimes both nets get connected (read short).