Tom,
        I have never seen, nor heard, of the autoplacement working properly. Sorry, as
far as I know it just doesn't work satisfactorily. I know that many many years ago, I
got a Protel manager to admit that the autoplacement just plain didn't work but that
was a decade ago and many versions back.

        Similar problem in P99SE is the component spacing rule, just doesn't work
satisfactorily in +90% of the cases. I believe that most users like myself just turn
off the component spacing rule because almost every component highlights as a
violation when components just get even close to one another. The component spacing
rule uses any primitive (including ref des. & comments, polarity markers, etc.) in the
footprint to determine an imaginary bounding box that is usually much larger than the
component. The minute those bounding boxes touch it is a violation in P99SE, even with
a zero or negative spacing value.

Sincerely,
Brad Velander.

Lead PCB Designer
Norsat International Inc.
Microwave Products
Tel   (604) 292-9089 (direct line)
Fax  (604) 292-9010
email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.norsat.com

CONFIDENTIALITY: This e-mail and any attached files may contain information that is
confidential and may be privileged. If you are not the intended recipient or the
person responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient,  please
notify the sender immediately and do not disclose the contents to another person, use
it for any purpose or store or copy the information in any medium.  Thank you.