At 11:43 AM 8/28/2003, Leo Potjewijd wrote:
Yeah, but now try this:

1) select the two connectors by drag-select or shift-leftclick
2) change the X/Y coordinates and select 'global'
3) change the 'selection' (drop down box) from 'any' to 'same' and hit OK.......

Yes, I'll confirm this, and I'll agree it is a bug.

In general the selection attribute is ignored in global edits of part fields (such as type being edited *as the field* not as an entry in the part edit dialog).

For example, I had a schematic sheet and I placed three capacitors. As it happened, because of prior activities, these caps had the Type field hidden. So I made all of the hidden fields visible. I then selected two of the caps and tried to make the Type field a non-hidden field for the two selected caps. I did this by clicking on the Part Type, clicking Global, selecting Same for Selection match attribute, and unclicking Hide.

When I tried to execute the global edit, I was warned that 7 instances were about to change. This was because there were four other parts on the page, besides these caps. When I added the selection criterion that the specific part type matched, there were still 3 instances that would change. Not the two that were selected.

It's not just about X,Y coordinates, it is simply about the Selection attribute being ignored in editing part fields. You can edit the type itself, keyed on selection, by editing it in the part edit dialog, where the selection key works.

A workaround would be, if I wanted to edit the location of the type attribute for a class of presumably identical components, to key on that type (i.e., 100 nF, for example). If there were other instances of the type on the page, the array could be moved (as a selection perhaps) to a scratch schematic page, edited there, and moved back.

Let me guess that the user wants to do this in order to be able to place an array of parts close together, leaving not enough room for the type field to be displayed. He decides to stack the type fields on top of one another, and, since they are all the same, they will display and print as if they were one. However, there is a more straightforward way to accomplish this. I'd hide all the type attributes except for one. This is easier than manipulating the type locations to make them all match, plus it allows moving the parts around subsequently without having additional instances appear of the type. In fact, if they are all placed that way, with the type hidden (perhaps by being copied from a part which has the type hidden, or cloned with the Insert trick), one then simply unhides one of them.

I presume that the user knows how to unhide a field, but just for reference, I'll mention it: Edit the part, check on hidden fields. The whole array of hidden fields will be displayed (the default for each field is that it contains an asterisk). Then edit the field one desires to unhide, by unchecking Hide. Then edit the part, unchecking hidden fields.